Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Nobel Laureate 's lecture

Professor Richard Schrock, is this year's nobel prize winner in chemistry. He shares the prize with two other researchers. Schrock, R. who is a professor of chemitsry at MIT was out here at Imperial college to give his first post-nobel lecture. I didn't want to miss out on this rare opportunity to watch a Nobel prize winner on his first post-nobel lecture. The lecture hall was packed, and people had to sit on the stairs to catch a glimpse of the nobel prize winner. I expected to see a lot of professors and members of the academic staff, but was surprised to find out how actually so many students had turned up.

Professor Schrock recieved a standing ovation as he walked into the lecture theatre. It felt like a scene from the movie "A Beautiful Mind" (2001), except that John Nash seemed a bit more "eccentric" and a lot older than Prof. Shrock. Just as all Nobel prize winners do (I am sure) Professor Schrock kissed his wife before getting up on the stage. This reminds me of John Nash's nobel lecture in the movie, where he attributes his nobel prize solely to his wife, which really at that point in the movie seemed very nice and appropriate.

Later that afternoon, I took a few pictures at Imperial, for the first time. This one here is infront of the Tanaka Business school, also more recently, the college's new entrance.




Just recently, I have moved all my public htmls to http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~rkarim . My homepage still remains at http://rashedkarim.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home